Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Reaper Bones: Damien, Hellborn Wizard

This week's figure for Monday Miniatures was 77149 Damien, Hellborn Wizard from the Dark Heroes set.  Unfortunately, I was late to the party and didn't get my entry submitted in time, but here it is finished:






This is an interesting figure, though it struck me as less "hellborn" or tiefling and more of a shaman or druid.  As such, I wanted a color scheme that would work for either purpose.  Clean up of mold lines was annoying on the figure, due to the way the hair and horns are sculpted (it creates recesses that were rather hard to clean up properly).  The figure is not overly "bendy", which is nice.

I used an entirely brown palette for the figure, which was part challenge and part attempt to "dual purpose" the figure into the roles listed above.  I went with a darker skin tone, and contrasted that with the lighter hair and fur lining of the coat.  The coat looks more orange in the photos above than it does in person, though I do like that the figure isn't completely drab.

Conclusion:  I think I did a passable job on the figure.  The blends aren't very smooth, but I'm happy with the shading.  I also like how the skin and hair turned out.  I was tempted to do something more with the staff, but I decided to keep it as-is.

Next week is 77154 Lizardman Spearman.  This is another figure that I have completed previously, so I plan to do something different.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment