Saturday, February 14, 2015

Reaper Bones: Battleguard Golem

This week on Monday Miniatures is 77168 Battleguard Golem from the Golems set.




This is another figure that I painted way back in 2013, but when it came up in the Monday Miniatures rotation I realized that I never posted it on my blog.

First Look:  This figure definitely looks like a "high end" golem for a well-to-do mage, as opposed to something like a clay or flesh golem (which strikes me as materials in the "make do with what you have" category).  The figure is rather large and intimidating, and has a good variety with the various plates of armor bolted on.  If you look closely, you can see that the design is asymmetrical, which I really liked about this figure.

Painting:  I knew I wanted to add variety in the armor, since there was little other detail to offset it.  I used bronze (VGC Bright Bronze) and gold (VGC Glorious Gold) throughout the body, with silver (VGC Chainmail Silver) for additional armor plates.  The sword used the same gold and silver, and the gems were done in blue (VGC Magic Blue) for some contrast and additional detail.  The pouches on the belt were painted a dark brown (VGC Beasty Brown) to make them stand out from the bronze, but not so much as to draw attention.

Conclusion:  I really like the "mixed metal" effect I achieved with this figure.  I think it would have looked good (and probably more practical) in a solid iron color, my version really sells this as a construct owned by a wealthy mage.

Next week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77185 Large Earth Elemental from the Forces of Nature set.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment