Sunday, March 31, 2013

Descent - Storage Solution


If you've seen Descent (whether in-person or online), you know that it has no shortage of tiles, tokens, cards, and figures.  All of these pieces come packed in the original game box when purchased, but can be a challenge to fit back in unless you toss the organizational insert that keeps the unpunched tiles separate.  Unfortunately, while everything fits, it leaves it all in a jumble and risk damage to the figures.

As a solution, I stopped by one of my local retail stores and picked up the following items:

Plano Magnum Satchel (Model 1350)
Plano ProLatch Stowaway (3500 Series)
(note that the Magnum Satchel comes with one Stowaway, and I picked up a second one)

The Magnum Satchel has a large primary storage area which works well for the various floor tiles.  This area also holds up to four of the Stowaway cases.  I used the two Stowaways to keep the various game tokens organized and easily accessible during play.  The Stowaways are small, so keeping them near (or on) the game table during play is feasible.

In the upper lid I've stored the various cards and figures.  Everything fits fairly well, though I wish there were more dividers for the upper part.  I only have the Descent base game at this time, so I don't know how much room I will need for the Lair of the Wyrm expansion.

The Magnum Satchel was a solid purchase and everything except the Rule Book and Quest Guide fits.  However, I don't know how much room I'll have for future expansion and I expect I'll have to reorganize a few areas.  The Stowaways are definite winners, as they're sturdy, small, and provide a very flexible amount of storage for small items such as the various tokens.

I'll add photos of my storage setup at a later date, so you can see how everything fits and see if it's a viable option.

Update:  I picked up a Plano Deep ProLatch Stowaway (3700 Series) to hold the various cards, and it does a pretty good job.  Unfortunately it's not quite tall enough to hold the large cards when they're fully upright, but there's plenty of space to allow them to lean and the small cards fit perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment