Sunday, February 9, 2014

Reaper Bones: Leisynn, Mercenary Mage

This week's Monday Miniatures is a return to the dark side!  From the Necromancers set of Bones I comes 77174 Leisynn, Mercenary Mage:








As you probably noticed, the background is different that previous entries.  I'm still experimenting with different lighting setups in an attempt to get better pictures with accurate colors.

When I first saw this figure, it immediately reminded me of the necromancer Kel'Thuzad from Warcraft III.  I'm sure more readers will probably be familiar with the character from World of Warcraft than the older RTS game, but this figure is very similar to how "pre-lich" Kel'Thuzad appeared.  I searched online and found some art which I liked; best of all, it avoided the typical black-heavy schemes for necromancers.

Most of the colors used on this figure were mixed to one degree, which is something I'm just now experimenting with.  The difficulty is knowing which colors to combine to get the effect you want.  For example, the base green used on the figure (Vallejo Game Color Scurvy Green) was too intense from the bottle, so I added some Cold Grey to try to desaturate it a little.  Due to the rough appearance of the robe, I added some brown to make his clothing look more worn and unkempt (he strikes me as the type of single-minded necromancer who doesn't pay attention to such trivialities).  Finally, to help the snake stand out a bit (it's an interesting feature, after all), I decided to go with an albino coloration to help offset it from the dark colors used on the figure.  Overall I'm very pleased with the results of the figure.  Perhaps once I have a higher level of skill, I'll go back and try to add writing or diagrams to the open book.

Next week on Caffeinforge is "Army Week", where participants will showcase their various armies/factions/warbands/what-have-you.  I'm not currently playing any army-based wargames, but I do have some older figures in my collection that I plan to share both on Caffeinforge and my blog.  Hopefully everyone will enjoy my blast from the past!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment