Sunday, July 10, 2016

Reaper Bones: Mummy Captain

I finally finished up the last of the Who's Your Mummy set from the first Bones Kickstarter:  77145 Mummy Captain







First Look:  This is a solid figure, and has a strong Egyptian motif with two different styles of khopesh and various adornments.  Despite really liking the figure, I kept putting it off as I couldn't really think of a good color scheme.  The details seem pretty solid on this figure; I didn't notice any muddled details.

Painting:  I had previously used a grayish tone for mummified flesh and really liked the look, so I kept it here.  It also helps distinguish the body from the old bandages, which are bone white with heavy brown washes.  The figure features a lot of gold elements (both sword blades, crown, and jewelry), with copper on the swords and bits of jewelry to provide variety (though it's a little hard to see in the pictures).  To add some color, I chose blue and purple; the rich tones help convey his importance as nobility.

Conclusion:  I think the figure turned out ok, though I think the colored areas could use further lightening via highlights.  I wasn't sure about that, since it can lead to a "bright" effect that looks odd on a decaying undead creature.  I do like the contrast between the body and bandages, and will probably use the same scheme on more mummies in the future.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment