Monday, December 19, 2016

Low Life: Walloping Krong

On the heels of finishing up some cute chibi miniatures, I decided to jump to the other end of the spectrum and tackle one of the bizarre Low Life figures:  Walloping Krong.









First Look:  If your first thought upon seeing the figure is "What the hell is that supposed to be?", then that's about the same reaction I had when I first came across the Low Life miniatures.  The figures go with a series of games set in a post-human apocalypse with a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor.  Case in point:  Krong here is a Cremefillian, a race of Twinkies turned sentient.

Honestly, I'm not sure what more to say:  it's an anthropomorphic Twinkie with a hammer made out of a grill.  And that's why I had to get these.

Painting:  I tried to stick to the source material in terms of colors; I'm not sure what the term for that art style is, but it's very "busy" and colorful.  The primary parts were the Twinkie-ish body (painted a yellow-brown), the leaf(?) clothing in medium brown, and the dark gray of the hammer.  The pants are magenta, with medium green shoes (or maybe slippers).  The flames are a pretty typical orange-to-yellow mix.  The eyes are a pinkish off-white color, which really make them stand out.  Finally, there were a few coats of brown wash to bring out details and add a grunge effect, as well as some green wash on the exposed portions of the snack-body to emulate mold setting in.

Conclusion:  To be honest, I didn't start out with much of a preconceived notion of how this would turn out.  Happily, I wound up with something I was aiming for - colorful but slightly muted and dingy.  I have no idea if I'll ever get the figure on the board for a game (it would make for a ridiculous Frostgrave warband, I'm sure), but it was a fun figure to paint.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment