Sunday, August 1, 2010

Warzone Dark Legion: Undead Legionnaires of Ilian

As a change of pace from all the characters I've been painting lately, I decided to tackle a squad of "line troops" - in this case, Undead Legionnaires from the Dark Legion. These are the lowliest of their troops, formed from the remains of soldiers slain on the battlefield and reanimated with the power of Dark Technology.

These particular Undead Legionnaire models were a later mold, released as a boxed set by Target Games. I much prefer the older models (of which I have a few), which look much more like former Corporate troops. These models look significantly different (robes, spiky armor, etc), so I wasn't sure how to incorporate them until I came across a description online here that gave me the idea of dedicating them to Ilian. Ilian seems to play up the mystical aspects of the Dark Legion, and so having Undead Legionnaires that look more like typical fantasy undead made sense. I had my inspiration!

Warzone - Dark Legion
Undead Legionnaires of Ilian








The Undead Legionnaires were painted with a mix of Hexed Lichen (robes & clothing) and Imperial Blue (armor). The skin was painted with Pale Flesh, and given several washes of Didi's Brown Ink. Boots and gloves were painted with Leather Brown, and washed with the same ink. The clothing and armor were washed with GW's Purple Ink and Sky Blue Ink, respectively. Chainmail Silver was used for armor spikes, rivets, and other minor details. The ridged areas on the Kratach assault rifles was painted with Magic Blue, to give it some color. After the model was done and given the protective matt spray-coat, I went back and added gloss varnish to the armor, as I wanted it to be somewhat shiny.


Necromutant of Ilian




The Necromutant serves as the squad leader for the Undead Legionnaires. At first, I mistook the model as another Legionnaire (though an oddly spiky and impressive one), before looking at the rulebook and seeing that it was probably a Necromutant. The model has the same paint scheme as the rest of the unit (for cohesion), but the flesh was painted Filthy Brown and given several washes of Didi's Brown Ink. The bony spikes were painted with Bonewhite, and washed with the same ink. The bayonet on the Belzarach assault rifle was given a light wash (same ink), just to make it look a little dirty.

Also noticeable is the fact that I actually finished the bases on these models! This was done with some ballast and a mix of Elmer's glue and water. Another addition was the green marker to determine forward facing. I saw these at a convention many years ago, and thought it was a brilliant addition. It saves a lot of argument in games of Necromunda, as well. I used Livery Green, which is the brightest green in the Vallejo Game Colors line.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment