Continuing from last week, this was more practice implementing James Wappel's "shaded basecoat" technique. The idea is to use a relatively limited selection of colors for the basecoat, and use washes and glazes to create differentiation. Since this was a cowboy, I decided to stick with browns and greys, and see what effects I could achieve.
Conclusion: Given my somewhat limited selection of washes, I'm surprised at the effect I was able to achieve. I also learned that I probably don't need to make the basecoat colors harmonize quite as much as I did, as once the glazes start going on it brings the colors more in line with one another. This was also the first time I used Reaper's Brown Liner, and I really like the effect it creates (such as between the hands and sleeves, and lining the inside of the overcoat). I'm also pleased that I achieved a reasonable skin tone without using any pre-mixed "flesh tone" paints (aside from a Reaper Flesh Wash).
Next week is another multi-figure challenge: 77176 Familiars. Depending on how things go, I may try to complete the 77196 Familiars II set as well.