Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reaper Bones: Deadeye Slim

We're back with the Chronoscope set for this week's Monday Miniatures entry:  80002 Deadeye Slim.







Continuing from last week, this was more practice implementing James Wappel's "shaded basecoat" technique.  The idea is to use a relatively limited selection of colors for the basecoat, and use washes and glazes to create differentiation.  Since this was a cowboy, I decided to stick with browns and greys, and see what effects I could achieve.

Conclusion:  Given my somewhat limited selection of washes, I'm surprised at the effect I was able to achieve.  I also learned that I probably don't need to make the basecoat colors harmonize quite as much as I did, as once the glazes start going on it brings the colors more in line with one another.  This was also the first time I used Reaper's Brown Liner, and I really like the effect it creates (such as between the hands and sleeves, and lining the inside of the overcoat).  I'm also pleased that I achieved a reasonable skin tone without using any pre-mixed "flesh tone" paints (aside from a Reaper Flesh Wash).

Next week is another multi-figure challenge:  77176 Familiars.  Depending on how things go, I may try to complete the 77196 Familiars II set as well.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment