Sunday, July 6, 2014

Reaper Bones: Tierdeleira, Dark Elf Cleric

It's time for another Monday Miniatures figure, and this week it's the first of the Dark Elves set:  77122 Tierdeleira, Dark Elf Cleric.  In case you're wondering what happened to last week's 77016 Rats entry, I did not forget about it.  I had actually completed the rats back in April, and didn't feel like I had more to add to my original post about them.  Now, on to this week's figure!






I took a different approach this week, as opposed to my normal style.  I recently received my Painting Pyramid videos, which is an instructional series from James Wappel.  I'm not going to go into the style just yet (I'm still trying to get my head around it), but it eschews the traditional "basecoat-shade-highlight" method for a much more fluid style of painting.

For this figure, I used purple and blue, with various grays and black used to modify those colors.  Well, I did use red for the gems and eyes, and brown for the base, but the rest was a combination of the colors above.  It was definitely different, and I enjoyed the exercise of figuring out which blend of colors I wanted for a given part of the figure.

Conclusion:  Considering I was using a new technique, I'm really happy that the figure turned out so well.  I think I may have needed a little more variety to keep things from blending together quite as much, but I didn't want the purples to veer too close to pink (that just doesn't seem suitable for a dark elf).

Next week's figure is back to Chronoscope with 80002 Deadeye Slim.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment