Friday, October 9, 2015

Reaper Bones: Rex, Dark Future Hero

I'm back, and with another of the figures from the Bones I Chronoscope set complete:  80009 Rex, Dark Future Hero.

Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.





I've recently been playing Mad Max (the video game; if you enjoy open-world games I highly recommend checking it out), and I was inspired to pull out this figure and paint it up.  In particular, I wanted to try weathering to make his clothes look dirty and worn, but such that they came across as different materials.

First Look:  The figure is a solid representation of Mad Max, though some people have also painted it as the T-800 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day.  I had to clean up the shotgun barrels a bit, but otherwise it's a fairly clean cast and fairly rigid (for Bones).

Painting:  Looking at Mad Max's clothing, there's a lot of black.  Like, almost entirely black.  So starting off, I knew the primary challenge would be to keep it from all blurring together in one big black blob.  I used varying amounts of black and light grey (VGC Coal Black, Wolf Grey) on the jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and hair.  The hair, belt, holster, and gun stock were painted dark brown (MSP Ruddy Leather), and the shirt painted dark green (VGC Yellow Olive).  A dark metallic (VGC Gunmetal) was used on the base, shotgun barrels, belt buckle, jacket zippers, and shoulderpads.  The skin was painted a medium flesh (VGC Elf Skintone).

From there, the model was given fairly liberal washes of brown and black (AP Soft Tone Ink, Strong Tone Ink, Dark Tone Ink).  This was done in a few layers, to help build up an appearance of wear and grime.  Once that was complete, the figure was drybrushed to varying degrees with a light-medium brown (MSP HD Griffon Tan).  Again, I varied how much was done to try to create variety in the clothing materials.  Finally, the base was completed using some desert rock/sand mixture.

Conclusion:  I think the figure turned out fairly well, and I like that the jacket and pants (in particular) read as different materials.  It's challenging to emulate a fairly monochromatic costume, and yet create variety in it.  I really didn't have much inspiration for this figure for the longest time (until the Mad Max game, honestly), so I think it turned out much better than it would have otherwise.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment