Thursday, October 22, 2015

Super Dungeon Explore: Royal Warden

As part of the new Kickstarter for Super Dungeon Explore: Legends, one of the stretch goals was to have pictures of 100 painted Heroes posted to Soda Pop Miniatures' Facebook page.  Once achieved, this will unlock the "Exploring Essentials" backer pin.  I wanted to do my part, and so I dug into my box of "Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King" and pulled out the Royal Warden.





 

First Look:  Thus far I hadn't tackled the sizable pile of figures in the SDE: Forgotten King box.  The Royal Warden was my first good look at the figures, and the quality is quite good.  The figures are pre-assembled (a complaint from the original SDE box), and they have minimal mold lines.  Cleanup was straightforward, and the plastic seems to be hard enough that filing works well to remove the mold lines.  I'm pretty sure this is the first chibi miniature I've tackled as well, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Painting:  I wanted to keep the paint job fairly "clean", as I don't think a grungy look is befitting the cheeful, playful nature of either the chibi miniature or the game.  Using the associated Kickstarter art for a rough guide, I opted for a dark gray hat and coat (VGC Coal Black, Sombre Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink) with white trim and white pants (VGC Wolf Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink).  The crossbow, satchel, and shoes were painted dark brown (MSP Ruddy Leather, AP Dark Tone Ink).  The skin was painted a fairly pale color, with orange hair (MSP HD Caucasian Flesh, Fireball Orange, AP Soft Tone Ink, AP Strong Tone Ink).  The base was painted a couple of shades of gray to ring out the stonework (VGC Cold Grey, Sombre Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink).  Finally, the eyes were painted an off-white base, with yellow irises and a black pupil (MSP Linen White, VGC Plague Brown, MSP HD Gilded Yellow, VGC Coal Black).

Conclusion:  I really like how the figure turned out, especially considering it was my first attempt at a chibi.  Painting the large eyes on the Relic Knights Novitiates helped get a sense of the shapes I would be working with, as it's quiet different than painting eyes on normal figures.  I would like to have the white trim a little cleaner, but the edges of the hat and collar have some variations which makes it hard to keep a consistent line around them.  Definitely something to work on in the future!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment