Unfortunately my painting has massively slowed down due to real life, but I'm still trying to make progress where I can. This past weekend I finished up a piece for my Abyssal Dwarf army in Kings of War: 03147 Thunderworm.
First Look: This model is from a lot I picked up a couple of years ago, and I never really had a reason to put it together. It was originally sold as part of a boxed set with a dwarven crew, but the cannon was later released in a blister pack. I came across it and realized it would make a great piece for my Abyssal Dwarf army, so I got to work. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the cannon is quite large; the entire model is about four inches long. It's nicely detailed (particularly the dragon head on the muzzle), and went together without any problems.
Painting: Since it's destined for my Abyssal Dwarf army, I used a red and black color scheme. The majority of the frame/chassis is medium red with a dark brown wash (VGC Gory Red, AP Strong Tone Ink). The wheels, adjustment bar, and cannon body are all black with dark gray highlights (VGC Coal Black, Wolf Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink). Finally, the metal was painted bronze (VGC Bright Bronze, Glorious Gold, AP Strong Tone Ink).
Conclusion: I can't say this piece is anything outstanding, but it's intended for eventual tabletop use and that was my goal. The biggest issue I encountered with this model was finding a way to hold it while painting! The model is much larger than my typical fare, and even then most of the larger models I've done lately are plastic rather than metal. I wound up using a nitrile glove on my left hand to hold the model, while painting with my right hand. This worked pretty well, so I'd recommend giving it a try if you're having trouble with a larger model.