Saturday, December 28, 2013

Reaper Bones: Owlbear

This week's Monday Miniature is another large one:  77156 Owlbear






As I may have mentioned before, I'm not particularly keen on this figure's pose (I know owlbears are supposed to go berserk in combat, but still...).  I didn't have a strong concept in mind, so I went with a basic medium brown for the fur.  The feathers are hard to see in the pictures above, but they're a medium-dark brown, with dark brown striping (which I was pleased with the effect).  I chose black rather than a bone color for the talons and beak, and I think that worked well.  I used a lighter tan/flesh color for the wing skin/membrane, though it's hard to see the difference between it and the fur in the pictures.

I had read that owls cannot turn their eyes in their sockets (which is why they move their head so much), so I tried to keep that in mind here.  Unfortunately, the sculpt has the owlbear's head looking up, so it kind of looks odd compared to where his lower limbs seem to be aiming.  This is definitely a miniature I would have painted later rather than sooner, but thanks to the Monday Miniatures challenge I can mark it as "done"!

Next week's figure is 89004 Pathfinder Goblin Warchanter.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment