Sunday, January 5, 2014

Reaper Bones: Goldar, Mason Thornwarden, Orc Sniper, Nienna, Vermin: Beetles, Vaeloth

As you may have noticed, I regularly participate in the Monday Miniatures painting challenge at Caffeineforge.com.  Each week, one of the 240 figures from the Reaper Bones Vampire set (from their first Kickstarter) is selected as the figure to be painted by the following Monday.

Thankfully, I paint slightly faster than "one figure a week" (well, most of the time), so that leaves me with extra painting time to work on other figures.  Below are a selection of my completed Reaper Bones and a few thoughts on each.  Maybe one day they'll show up as the chosen figure for Monday Miniatures!







If you played the Asheron's Call games, you may immediately recognize what I was going for.  The lugians were a strong, mountain-dwelling race, and this figure looks the part.  This was further inspired by Goldar's missing nose (an unfortunate problem plaguing a few of the Bones figures).





I was not terribly inspired by this figure, but I had repositioned his arm to put the bow in a more natural position and the figure was prepped for painting during the process.  It felt like taking a step back to put him back in the box, so I decided to get him done.  I decided to use some lighter browns, and was very close to painting his cloak a darker brown to make him a desert/badlands ranger.  Ultimately I gave him a dark/drab green cloak with a few variations to give him a bit more color and make him more of a "typical" ranger.





The Orc Sniper was painted as part of a Facebook group challenge.  He's a fairly typical orc, and I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out.  Ultimately I decided to go with a different color scheme for my other orcs, but I did get to try out a mustard color (on the skirt).  The skin is a little more green than I'll probably go for on my other orcs (and reminds me of the old Games Workshop orcs from the 90s).





I painted this figure on a whim, as it reminded me of Jain Fairwood from the Descent: Journeys In The Dark tabletop game (which is why I added a bit of purple color to the figure, similar to Jain).  I used a couple of different greens here, but the big experiment with this figure was the cloak.  I'm very pleased with how it came out, and I felt that camouflage was an interesting, non-mystical spin on the "elven cloak" concept.




Not much to say about these, really; they're beetles.  I tried a couple of different colors, and focused on keeping the highlights clean.  The green beetle's abdomen wound up looking like a watermelon, but I guess it's good to know I can paint one of those if the need arises.






I've been simultaneously looking forward to and dreading this figure.  Having played through the Neverwinter Nights computer game, the figure bears a strong resemblance to the tiefling fighter Valen Shadowbreath and I decided to use the same color scheme for this figure.  Unfortunately, this figure also had major nose damage, so I attempted to sculpt a replacement (the results were so-so, and now he has a sort of feline facial appearance).  I've very happy with how this figure turned out, and I felt like I had better brush control than on some previous miniatures (especially with the small emblems and armor highlights).  I wish I knew non-metallic metal techniques, as I think they could look really good on this figure (and help with the green armor, since that's not a normal metallic shade).  Still, I winged it on the green armor and I feel it looks fairly decent.  I'm also pleased that I managed to get the eyes right; since they're black with pale blue pupils, I wasn't sure how they would turn out.

That's all for now; once I've gotten a few more figures done, I'll be sure to share them as well.  I also plan on doing additional posts as I complete each "set" from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter (for example, Golems and Fire It Up!).

Until next time!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment