Sunday, January 26, 2014

Reaper Bones: Storm Giant

This week on Caffeineforge's Monday Miniatures is the massive 77163 Male Storm Giant, the companion of 77162 Yephima, Female Cloud Giant in the Reaper Bones Kickstarter.  I don't know if storm giants and cloud giants normally mingle, but at least it's thematic (though I'm left wondering why the cloud giant got a name, but the storm giant did not).






This figure was almost too large for my light box due to his extended sword!  I managed to cram him in and get a few pictures, but I suspect I'll have problems when I get around to the dragons and other add-ons from the first Bones Kickstarter.  Anyway, on to the breakdown for this figure's paint scheme!

I like to research most "non-player races" to get an idea of what they should look like.  While I generally have a pretty good idea for most creatures, it never hurts to look around and get some inspiration.  In this case, the storm giants were described as bronze-skinned and dwelling along warm coastlines; from the description, they sounded like over-sized Ancient Greeks, so that was my general concept.

Initially, I was tempted to go for a sort of "300"-style Leonidas figure, but I decided to eschew red for blues and purples, more in keeping with the "storm" aspect (and with the Greek influence, I kind of think of storm giants like "mini-Titans").  It's somewhat hard to see in the pictures above, but the leather armor is somewhere between a brown and plum color.  I experimented with mixing blue in with the browns used for the straps and armor, and I'm surprised at how well it worked out.  I went with a lot of bronze on the armor (again, due to the Ancient Greek influence), but added some steel bits so they didn't seem too archaic.  I also did some brownlining (another technique I haven't tried previously), and I really like how it gave the armor an "offset" from the skin (especially since the bronze armor and fleshtone were somewhat similar in color).

I'm very pleased with how this figure turned out!  I'm just now getting to the point where I feel comfortable enough with my level of brush control and basic painting skills that I'm learning what happens when you mix two colors of paint, and I look forward to trying this out further on future figures.

Next week's Monday Miniature is less colossal, but much more common in any fantasy setting:  77085 Townsfolk: Wench.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment