Sunday, March 9, 2014

Reaper Bones: Snakeman Warrior; Vandorendra, Snake Demon

As I promised in my last post, this week's Monday Miniatures entry comes with a bonus figure!  The figure for this week is 77153 Snakeman Warrior.






I didn't want to go with the standard "green snake" look, and noticing the small rattle on his tail I did some online research for rattlesnake patterns.  I decided to go with the pygmy rattlesnake, as it was a little more colorful (I took a little liberty with the orange coloration, but not much).  I went with bronze equipment to imply a slightly lower-tech civilization.

Given the complexity of the source pattern, I'm very happy with how this figure turned out!  I think it's definitely a more unique take on the color scheme, and gave me some excellent practice with more complex patterns (but still allowing for some minor mistakes with brush control, since it's not a precise pattern).

And now for the bonus figure:  77117 Vandorendra, Snake Demon:




I would like to say I picked this figure to continue the "snake" theme of this week's Monday Miniature entry, but it was really just random chance.  I was in the process of cleaning up this figure, and decided to go ahead and paint it this week.

For her color scheme, I wanted to stick with reds and browns, and I tried a darker skin tone than I usually use.  I thought about adding some variation to the jewelry, but I thought more bronzes would be somewhat lost with the tail section, and I was trying to keep the silvers to the weapon blades.  I think it turned out pretty solid, though I did find myself wishing I knew how to pull off non-metallic metal (NMM) to minimize the harsh silvers of the blades.

Next week's Monday Miniature is Part 1 of 2 for 77191 Hydra.  I don't have the Hydra figure, but I plan on working on the ISW-69F Scout Ship from Bombshell Miniatures/Airlock Games.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment