Saturday, March 29, 2014

Reaper Bones: Ghostly Summons and Night Spectre

I recently picked up the Reaper MSP triad of Clear paints (Clear Red, Clear Yellow, and Clear Green), and wanted to try out the green and yellow on more of the Haunts set from the first Bones Kickstarter.  First up is 77095: Ghostly Summons:






I'm really happy with the transition between the ghostly flames and the figures; it really looks like the figures are forming out of the swirls.  Looking at the photos, I think I may need to use some non-transparent paints to add further highlights on the figures themselves to help details stand out.

The other figure is the largest of the Haunts set, 77099 Night Spectre:



I like how the additional layers of Clear Green causes the skeletons to stand out a bit more.  I wanted to keep the ethereal look of them, as thought the Night Spectre were conjuring different images to frighten its prey.  I highlighted the claws and ridges across the figure, but it doesn't show up too well in the pictures above.  It's much more noticeable in person, as the highlights (with normal paint) doesn't "shift" the way the transparent parts do.  Overall I'm happy with how the figure turned out, though I might go back and try to add a little shadowing to help the highlights stand out more.

UPDATE:  I went back and did more work on the Night Spectre, as I wasn't happy with the lack of details as it was.  Below is the new and improved version (including an attempt at a "glow" effect on the base).  I think the skeletons may actually require yet further highlighting to bring them out more, but I think the figure looks much better than before!


This week's Monday Miniature, 77039 Janan, Female Dragon Slayer, is still on target for completion.  I look forward to resuming the weekly challenge, as we have a slew of villainous figures coming up in the next few weeks!

Until next time!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment