Sunday, April 20, 2014

Reaper Bones: Darkrasp, Evil Priest

Sneaking in at the 11th hour is my submission for this week's Monday Miniatures:  77151 Darkrasp, Evil Priest.






I loved this figure since I first saw it in the Bones I lineup, but I couldn't quite decide on a paint scheme to do it justice so it stayed in the box.  When it came up for this week's Monday Miniatures, I knew I would finally have to figure something out.  Having backed the Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter and followed it's development and lore, I was familiar with the Cult of the Yellow Sign and thought this would be a great theme for this figure!  In addition, it would give me some more practice on yellows, which are notoriously tricky to paint.

The figure features a variety of browns, mostly notably Leather Brown (for the robe) and Plague Brown (for the cloak and hood).  The metal is Bright Brass, and everything was given a few coats of brown wash.  The is also the first figure I've tried using Brown Liner on (around the hands), and it did a good job of helping to delineate between those and the similarly-toned bone and parchment.

Conclusion:  I'm thrilled with how this figure turned out!  I think the theme worked incredibly well, and using brown undertones made a huge different when trying to highlight into the yellow range for the cloak (and the robes to a very slight degree).  The one part I couldn't quite decide on was the urn (or whatever it's supposed to be - a censer?), which I just went with a sort of terracotta tone.  Still, I really like how the figure finished up, and I think it would be a lot of fun to play as a Yellow Sign cultist in an RPG.

Next week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77140 Townsfolk: Village Rioter.  I've already finished the figure (I think it was the first Bones figure I painted from the Vampire set, actually), so I'll be working on another figure this week.  Here's a hint:  he will make a good match with my take on Malek, Necromancer...

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment