Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Reaper Bones: Kavorgh, Orc Warboss

Better late than never!  I've finished up my take on this past Monday's figure for Monday Miniatures:  77064 Kavorgh, Orc Warboss, Warlord of Northern Kargir and Chieftain of the Black Knife tribe (per Reaper's Dark Heaven Apocalypse background).








I swear, I haven't had this much trouble with a figure in some time.  As you can (hopefully) tell, I was going for a winter theme, but I was having a hard time balancing the dark skin of a black orc and the other dark tones (metal and leather) with the lighter fur and snow.  I kept lightening a lot of the leather, ultimately ending up with a leather brown base with a heavy layering of bone white.  The blue for the chest armor started out way too blue, so I lightened that further, as well.

Once I was finally happy with how the figure's color scheme was taking shape, it felt like every time I was nearly done, I would notice more details that needed work.  The shield, in particular, took considerably longer than I expected, as I couldn't get the coloration to look right.  Who knew it could be so hard to paint not-quite-recently-dead body parts?

Conclusion:  Considering how unexpectedly difficult this figure was to complete, I'm very happy with how he turned out.  I had multiple hurdles, and unfortunately missed the Monday Miniatures deadline (my first time since I joined in, I think)!  Also, for anyone who's is interested, the figure's left arm can be disconnected under the shoulder.  I discovered this by accident when I was bending it out of the way, and it popped off (after I had painted all the difficult-to-reach areas, of course).  I'd recommend popping the arm free prior to starting on this figure, as it will make it much easier to paint behind the shield and left arm.

As stated in my last post, this coming week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77151 Darkrasp, Evil Priest.  I intend to get back on track and get a figure completed in time for Monday!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment