Sunday, April 6, 2014

Reaper Bones: Malek, Necromancer

This week for Monday Miniatures it's our second figure from the Necromancers set of Bones I:  77172 Malek, Necromancer.






I was examining the figure and considering possible color schemes, when the similarity of several features hit me:  Skeletor!  Obviously he's missing the skull face, but otherwise I think it's a surprisingly good match (and even the masked face can work better for incorporating the figure into situations where you don't want a dead guy).

As you can see, the figure features primarily purples and blues.  This was very challenging, since Skeletor has a lot of the same shade of purple on him (even in more recent 2002 Masters of the Universe series).  I wanted to give the character more variety, so I modified some of the purples from the basic "royal purple" that's the go-to color for Skeletor.  The bracer, loincloth (or whatever it's called), and parts of the staff have a lighter purple shade, while the chest armor and boots are a dark blue.  I thought about painting the two halves of his sword differently (in the new series, he has a sword that splits in two), but I didn't think the sculpt would really sell the effect and it would just look weird.

I'm really happy with how this figure turned out!  The washes and highlights worked, and the colors I mixed up worked out really well.  I can only assume that painting all these Bones figures is having some effect on my skills!

Next week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77064 Kavorgh, Orc Warboss.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment