Monday, April 14, 2014

Reaper Bones: Danar, Male Assassin

This week's Monday Miniature is 77064 Kavorgh, Orc Warboss.  Unfortunately, I didn't manage to finish as my attempt at a "winter" color scheme just wasn't cooperating with the darker tones of a black orc.  I'm determined to make it work this week, and will post once the figure is complete!

In Kavorgh's stead, I did manage to finish 77030 Danar, Male Assassin:





I had started prepping this figure for a side project (more on that at a later date!), but during cleanup I decided that it really wouldn't work for what I was going for.  Since the figure was already prepped, I decided to push forward despite not having a clear concept.  I only knew that I wanted to avoid a black-heavy color scheme, as that was too cliche for an assassin.  Looking at the figure, I thought it looked like a good mid-level character; better equipped than a low-level, but not as fancy and individualized as a higher-level.

With that in mind, I decided to paint the armor black for a sinister look, while also conveying that this was more than a common thug.  I went with a dark blue for the cloak (good for blending in to dark alleys and poorly-lit rooms), and dark browns for the leather pieces.  I didn't want the colors to stray too far (or get too "loud"), so I went with a royal purple for the pants, and a crimson/purple mix for the shirt sleeves.

Conclusion:  I'm pleased with how the figure turned out, especially considering it was sort of a "figure it out as I went" approach.  The colors work well together, and the figure could totally work for a minor noble (or even an adventurer) as well as an assassin.  I intend to hunt out some flock to add some grass effect to his base, but otherwise I think he's done.

One last update:  I "upgraded" the eye on the MaC Bot from Bombshell Miniatures/Airlock Games, to better convey the Cylon effect I was going for:


It turned out better than I expected, especially considering just how small that visor slit is!

Next week's Monday Miniature is 77151 Darkrasp, Evil Priest.  And as I said, I'll get my go at Kavorgh posted as soon as he's done.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment