Sunday, September 28, 2014

Reaper Bones: Dragonman Warrior

This week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77060 Dragonman Warrior from the Fighters set.







This was another clean figure as far as mold lines, and it has a nice stiffness to it.  The sword is flexible without being too bendy (the width of the blade probably helps).  I really like the sculpt as well (even if he is leaving himself horribly open to a counterattack).  The sword has a nice design, and sells the idea that it wasn't made for normal demi-humans.

As you may have noticed from the pictures, I attempted a gold non-metallic metal (NMM) scheme for the armor.  I have read that gold NMM is more difficult than standard silver NMM, and I think my experiences bear that out.  Yellow paint in general is more challenging to work with since the pigments don't cover as well as other colors (hence it requires more coats to achieve a solid color).  The armor was initially painted a medium-dark brown, and then brought up with some yellow-brown mixes through yellow and to yellow-bone for highlights.  Looking at the results, I think my range of colors was right, but I need more practice on the placement and blending.

I decided to go for a red skintone (scaletone?) to complement the warm gold of the armor.  To help offset a bit (and make the red stand out), I used green for the loincloth.  Speaking of, if there's another term for those things I would like to know it!  The cooler green also paired well with the grays of the base, sword, and shield.

Conclusion:  This is not one of my better paint jobs lately, but I don't think it looks terrible.  In retrospect, I think this was probably too ambitious of a miniature to try my hand at gold NMM; there are just too many surfaces that need to be addressed, and I'm not yet experienced enough with NMM and figuring out where the light and dark areas should fall.

Next week's figure is 77087 Townsfolk: Mother with Children from the Townsfolk set.  This was one of the figures from the Bones I Kickstarter that did not make it to retail release due to quality issues, so it's not available unless you have a KS Vampire set.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment