Sunday, June 1, 2014

Reaper Bones: Ape-X

This week marks a first for Monday Miniatures (unless I'm mistaken), as we had our first Chronoscope figure:  80001 Ape-X.






This is from Reaper's selection of superhero and supervillain figures within Chronoscope, and I find Ape-X to be reminiscent of DC's Gorilla Grodd (though cybered-up).  I'm a little surprised at how dark the figure turned out, but with the gray/black for the gorilla fur and skin, plus the gunmetal and black for the cyber-bits and hoses, it was unavoidable.  Bronze was used for the gauntlet and some fittings, and a strong light blue was added to brighten the model (I was going for an "energized component" look).

Conclusion:  As I mentioned, the figure turned out a little darker than I would have preferred.  In retrospect, I think I would have used a brighter color for the hoses, and maybe parts of the backpack.  However, I am especially pleased with how the checkered tile floor turned out.  I also need to work on OSL to better achieve a "energy glow" effect (maybe a stronger amount of white added to the blue of the final shades).

Next week's figure is 77068 Anirion, Wood Elf Wizard.  The figure has a lot of untextured surface area on his robe, so I'm debating whether or not I want to attempt a design (and if so, exactly what).

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment