Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reaper Bones: Male High Wizard

We're back to the New 30 set this week for Monday Miniatures, and a figure I've been looking forward to painting since I received my Bones I Kickstarter order last year:  77034 Male High Wizard.  I'm curious why this figure never received a name, as it seems pretty rare for a Reaper miniature to go unnamed.





This figure is crammed with details, and I think it turned out fairly well as a Bones figure.  The detail on the pile of books and skull aren't the best, but they get the job done.  At the same time, the tiny little lizard and the wizard's fingers turned out fine.  As I said, I really like this figure and it works great as an archetypal wizard.

I primarily went with a blue/purple scheme for the wizard.  His cloak went through a few shades of blue before it was "blue" enough (I felt it was still too similar to his robes and had to keep lightening it).  The robes are actually a royal purple, though it's hard to tell in the pictures above.  The cap is the lightest shade of purple, just to make it stand out a bit.  I used warmer colors as accents, as I thought the red transitioned well from the purple colors.  I also used a little bit of orange to avoid having red in too many areas.

Conclusion:  I would have preferred that the purples and blues didn't run together so much, but overall I think the figure turned out fairly well.  I didn't really attempt anything crazy on this figure, but at the same time I think I had pretty good brush control and only had to do a tiny amount of clean up.

Next week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77091 Nienna, Female Elf Ranger.  I completed this figure some time ago, so I'll likely work on something else.  Despite the delays with Bones II fulfillment, I'm still going to try to complete as many Bones I figures as I can before my Bones II package arrives!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment