Sunday, October 26, 2014

Reaper Bones: Nienna, Female Elf Ranger; Norgol, Irongrave Knight

This week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77091 Nienna, Female Elf Ranger from the Heroes set.  I had previously finished this figure in a painting spree back in January, but I've reposted her below as I'm still happy with the way she turned out.

Since Nienna was already complete, I spent my time on 77065 Norgol, Irongrave Knight and completed the BBEG set.





I like how the camouflage pattern on the cloak turned out; distinct enough to notice, but not too much of a contrast to ruin the effect.





I've been wanting to complete this figure for a while now, but I couldn't decide on a paint scheme.  The sculpt is solid (pretty literally, at that), but nothing exceptional.  Taking inspiration from the name ("Irongrave Knight"), I wanted to stick with more of an "iron" look that steel for his armor.  The figure was painted with a variety of grays and browns (which seems to be a recurring theme lately).  I decided to avoid using more lively colors to keep the figure's menace and theme strong.

The armor plates were painted with a mix of medium gray, black, and medium brown.  Once that was complete, I went back and added a medium gray edging (similar to a highlight, but pertaining to wear rather than a light source).  This was followed up with a brown wash to help further separate the oxidized areas of iron from the parts that are likely to suffer abrasion.

Since the axe is so large, I decided to stick with a black blade.  Again, the dark tone makes the figure more menacing, but I was also concerned that an attempt at NMM would blend in with the rest of the armor too much.  Instead I added some simple edge highlights to the axe.

Conclusion:  I had no idea how this would turn out, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.  I think there's a reasonable degree of contrast in the pictures, and the effect isn't something I've tried before.  This seems to be a good example of an experiment paying off!

Next week's figure for Monday Miniatures is 77149 Damien, Hellborn Wizard from the Bedeviled set.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment