Friday, October 10, 2014

Reaper Bones: Orc Berserker

This week's Monday Miniatures figure is 77059 Orc Berserker from the New 30 set (and also part of the Orcpocalypse add-on).







This is another solid figure, both in terms of the type of Bonesium and the quality of the sculpt.  The mold lines were in easily accessible places and were easy to clean up.  Of particular note is the sword, which is fairly rigid due to its thick blade (thinner blade have been troublesome on other figures).

Due to the amount of armor (and little else) the orc is wearing, he was painted primarily in a range of grays.  The skin is a mix of black and dark green, highlighted with the same with a touch of blue.  I wanted the skin to be dark enough for the figure to pass as a black orc (that's what the metal range of these orcs were listed as), but also light enough to function as a "normal" orc as needed.  The kilt and bracers are light blue mixed with light gray.  I wanted to achieve a winter or arctic effect to match Kavorgh.  The boots, straps, and belt are a medium brown mixed with a light gray, again to help lighten the figure.

Conclusion:  I'm very pleased with how this figure turned out.  I spent a lot of effort on the sword's non-metallic metal (NMM) effects, and I think I got some good transitions.  I'm still having trouble modeling a NMM effect on complex armor surfaces, but I think I'm moving in the right direction.  I also like how the blues turned out, and don't feel out of place on the figure.  My initial attempts on Kavorgh felt disjointed until I adjusted the colors, but fortunately I didn't have the same issues this time around.

Next week's figure in another from the New 30 set and one that I've been looking forward to:  77034 Male High Wizard.  It's a very unique-looking figure and has a lot of detail incorporated, so it will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment