Sunday, February 28, 2016

Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest (Part 3)

Today I finished the last of the figures in the Dungeon Saga main set!  These last few figures took a little longer than expected, as there were several characters that deserved more attention than the rank-and-file troops.

Dwarf Revenants (3)



The last of the minions, the Dwarf Revenants seemed to have a little more detail and wound up getting put off until last.  I like how the warm tones on the figures worked out, and the different beard colors helps provide some variety to their otherwise uniform appearance.  The armor looks neglected, but still serviceable.


Hoggar, Zombie Troll Shaman





I used the character card for Hoggar's colors, which resulted in him having a slightly different skin tone from the other Zombie Trolls.  I think this works well, as it helps offset him further, but not so much to make them look unrelated.  The art for this figure was very heavy with the greens and I wasn't sure how it would work, but I think there's some good differentiation between the skin, clothing, and headdress (or whatever that's supposed to be on top).


Grund, Undead Dwarf King





Again, the character card was used for reference, which I liked as it gave Grund a similar look to the Dwarf Revenants (which I imagine might have been his personal guard).  The green and red is striking, but I can't decide if he looks like an undead Santa or not (the white beard isn't helping!).  Christmas flavoring aside, I do like how the figure turned out.


Mortibris, Human Necromancer





I saved the ultimate villain for last, which is fitting since I believe the figure is only used in the last campaign of the Dwarf King's Quest campaign (I could be mistaken, however).  Once again, the character card was used as a reference.  In Mortibris' case, his purple/blue robe is largely plain so I worked on using several different blues to highlight (though I'm not sure they show up in the photo).  The gold border on his scapular was freehanded, as it was not molded on.  I like how the figure is in the middle of raising a skeleton from beneath the ground; it gives no doubt as to the fact that he's a necromancer.


Conclusion:  I'm glad to mark another project as complete!  My goal was to get the basic set for Dungeon Saga painted and ready to play.  I think the game can serve as an excellent "gateway game" for people new to tabletop gaming, and having painted figures provides a stronger impact for that experience.  Also, having them done before a campaign is started means I don't wind up in the same situation I did with Descent: Journeys in the Dark, where some of the figures in play are painted, but others are not (and that any figures that get painted had to be completed by the time the next game night rolled around).

In the future I'll tackle the expansions for Dungeon Saga, but for now I'm moving on to a new project.  I still have some Bones I figures to complete, and I have some Kings of War armies pending as well!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment