Sunday, November 9, 2014

Reaper Dark Heaven: Arachno Assassin Champion

Another Reaper Dark Heaven figure from my archives has been completed!  Here is 02192 Arachno Assassin Champion, complete with obscene gesture!






I loved the Arachno Assassins when I first saw them so many years ago.  I've always been keen on the undead, and these were something new and different (and significantly deadlier than common skeletons).  It's not surprising then that the character models for the Arachno Assassins are even better!  I can't vouch for the effectiveness of a double-ended scythe, but it definitely looks intimidating.  The fact that he's flipping a bird to his opponent is great, and sort of reminds me of Army of Darkness.

The figure has a relatively limited palette, but at the same time there's not a lot of equipment to warrant a lot of variety.  I worked on using warm and cool tones for the bones, and I really like the effect.  I went with a bronze look for his armor to avoid too much silver on the figure (and give some variety with the metals).  I also think bronze tends to imply a little more age, befitting a long-dead warrior.  Though I'm not sure Arachno Assassins are typical undead, so that logic may fall through somewhat....

Conclusion:  I'm very pleased with how this figure turned out, especially the bones.  In retrospect, I think I probably should have painted the loincloth black rather than brown, just to help differentiate it from the base a little more.

I have a few other Arachno Assassin models in my collection, so expect them to show up in the future.

Until next time!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment