Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Reaper Dark Heaven: Murkillor, Wraith King

Another of my old Reaper Dark Heaven figures has been completed:  02103 Murkillor, Wraith King.






I loved Reaper's take on wraiths when I first saw them several many years ago.  The way they're sculpted to be "empty" robes and "floating" weapons is great, and really gives the figure an ethereal quality.

Looking at the figure, I knew I wanted to attempt object source lighting (OSL) with the flame sword.  It's such a large focal point for the figure that it deserved the attempt, and I figured the robes would be easier to attempt OSL than more complicated surfaces.  I thought that a spectral green would be a much better choice than typical red/orange flames, and help sell the "unnaturalness" of the figure.

The robe was painted with medium gray, mixed with varying amounts of black.  I used a slightly lightened black for the iron crown upon his head.  In retrospect, I think it could have used more attention, but I wasn't sure how to maintain an "iron" look without over-lightening the color.

The flame sword was painted with a combination of light, intense greens, mixed with an intense yellow.  I then followed up with Reaper MSP Clear Green to strengthen the green tint.  The reflections are painted with the same color, lightened slightly with bone white.

Conclusion:  I'm really happy with how the piece turned out.  I'm not experienced with OSL and I'm still learning, and I do think my attempt sells the effect for the figure (and makes it much more striking than if I had simply painted the sword and left it at that).  Next time I'm going to work on lightening the reflected light a little more, as it's still a little too intense on the figure (the reflected light should not be as strong as the light source, in this case the sword).

My next couple of figures will most likely be Bones, as I want to make further progress there before Bones II ships and hopefully finish off a few more sets.

Until next time!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment