Saturday, November 29, 2014

Salvage Crew Saga: SC23 Darkstar

Having cleaned up the Salvage Crew figures, I was looking forward to painting them.  However, since they don't have a particular game setting (or at least not one I'm familiar with), I didn't really have any ideas on how it should be done.  Are there factions with particular colors affinities?  Should they be painted as individuals or a more cohesive group?  Will they look odd together if I paint them separately?  Since I didn't have any answers and no clear theme had come to mind, I decided to try a bit of an experiment using a six-sided die and ROY G BIV.

If you don't recall, ROY G BIV is the description of the colors of the rainbow (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet).  Since "indigo" is made up I tossed it out, leaving six colors.  Assigning the colors the numbers 1 through 6, I rolled the d6 three times to determine the three colors in a given figure's palette.  Any color variations are acceptable, so long as the color falls in one of the three selected color groups (so both a dark crimson and a light pink would satisfy for "red").  In addition, grays and browns would be allowed for all figures.

Randomly selecting a figure, the first one up was SC23, the armored female with dual pistols.  Here color rolls were violet (6), blue (5), and green (4).  Since the models don't have any existing lore that I'm aware of, I'll be adding my own to help flesh them out a bit.


SC23 - Codename: Darkstar

Subject is believed to be a former employee at a SunTech Energy R&D station in the Uzara system, who stole experimental weapons and equipment before fleeing to the outer territories.  Darkstar wields a pair of compact plasma pistols that are more advanced that typical designs, and wears a composite armor which provides protection against both ballistic and energy projectiles.  The subject now serves as a hired gun, and specializes in technology retrieval.







I settled on Vallejo Game Color Hexed Lichen (armor) and Scurvy Green (bodysuit) for the majority of the model, with Imperial Blue being used on the pistols.  I went with a darker skintone since the figure was in darker, cooler colors.  Black was used for the gloves and boots, and dark gray used for the holsters, belt, and backpack.

Conclusion:  I'd say the random-color-selection experiment was a success!  I really like how the figure turned out, and they're probably not colors I would normally have chosen.  As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm waiting on some Basius 2 pads to finish the bases.  I also liked the Army Painter Inks, as this was my first "full model" test of several of the colors.

Next up in the Salvage Crew Saga will be SC35, male ganger with SMG (the figures don't have names, so I'll try to provide a descriptor to help with identification).

No comments:

Post a Comment