Sunday, December 21, 2014

Reaper Bones: Dain Deepaxe

In the spirit of Christmas, this week on Monday Miniatures is the pseudo-Santa dwarf figure:  77074 Dain Deepaxe.








The figure is solid, with pretty good transition of details from metal to Bonesium (though some of the details are a little hard to make out).  The shield arm is actually a second piece which was glued on at the factory, though removing it would probably make painting the figure a little easier.  Some of the mold lines were difficult to get to due to the figure's sculpt, but it did not require huge amounts of cleanup.

In the spirit of Christmas, I decided to go with green for the primary color on the clothing and shield, and red/orange for the beard.  The various metal details were painted metallic gold, while the steel portions (such as the armor and axe blade) were painted in grays.  Various browns were used for the pants, boots, gloves, and accessories.

Conclusion:  I really like how the figure turned out.  The green and gold color scheme works really well, and I like the varieties of brown I was able to achieve.  The design on the shield could probably use a final coat of metallic gold (it looks a little thin in some places), and I could have spent more time on the NMM for the axe blade.  I think the beard turned out nicely, and has a little variety in it which keeps it from appearing as an intense orange blob.

I spent quite a bit of time on this figure, both because I felt it had a lot of potential, but also because this is the final figure for Monday Miniatures this year!  It's hard to believe I've been doing this for over a year, but looking back I've made a huge amount of progress in my Bones collection.  When I got my order of Bones from the first Kickstarter, I was just getting back into the hobby and felt I would be doing good to do a couple of figures a month!  At last count, I'm just over 160 Bones figures painted, and that doesn't include all the other figures I've painted as well.

Monday Miniatures is taking a break next week due to the holidays, and will be back the week of January 5th with 77066 Shaeress Nashanneth, Dark Elf Queen.  Until then, enjoy the holidays and I look forward to seeing you next year as we continue with Bones I and start on Bones II!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment