Sunday, December 21, 2014

Relic Knights: [Doctrine] Librarian

This marks the first of my Relic Knights figures to be painted:  the Librarian from the Doctrine faction.






If you're not familiar, Relic Knights is a game by Soda Pop Miniatures which is very heavily anime/manga-inspired.  While I'm not generally into that sort of thing, the figures were intriguing and offered a very different subject matter than I'm used to.  The game itself is fast paced and seems to capture the style very well.  The game and figures were funded via Kickstarter, and while I wasn't a backer during the campaign, I did pick up some figures after the fact.  I'm not sure how frequently they'll be working into my painting schedule, but when they do I'll be sure to share my results.

I used the art from the Relic Knights: Darkspace Calamity (the game's rule book) as inspiration for the figure, which differs a bit from the painted examples and tends to feature a lot of browns.  I used a lot of mixes to try to match the colors in the art, and focused on keeping the lines clean to help sell the style.  Note that the base is temporary, and the figure will be re-based in the future.

Conclusion:  I think the figure turned out great!  The freehand tattoos aren't something I do (ever, really), and the fact that they're basic shapes really helped.  The gems turned out nicely, though the large one on the back was the most challenging due to the sheer size.  It's hard to get the typical "gem effect" to work at that scale, it seems.  Some areas to work on are further highlights for the pants and boots, and further differentiating the belt from the pants.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment