Saturday, August 1, 2015

[Legacy] Citadel: Ikit Claw, Chief Warlock of Clan Skryre

While searching through some old miniatures, I found one of the first figures I painted and thought it would be a good opportunity to showcase some of my earlier figures.  Hopefully I'll see some progress over the years between then and now!

First up is Citadel Miniatures' Ikit Claw, Chief Warlock of Clan Skryre.  This is one of the first "real" miniatures I painted, having started with the likes of HeroQuest, Dark World, and then moving to Advanced HeroQuest (and from there to Warhammer Fantasy).  Advanced HeroQuest featured the Skaven quite heavily, and I always thought they were a very unique race with a lot of flavor.  I remember reading about the Skaven characters, and Ikit Claw was easily my favorite on account of his mastery of both magic and warpstone technology (plus he was armed to the teeth with practically every special weapon in the Skaven arsenal).




Oof... that's pretty garish!  O_o

The basic color scheme isn't bad, but the tones really need some adjustment.  The figure isn't much more than a basecoat, and Ikit would be serviceable on the tabletop.  Some basic washes would help a lot, as well.  Aside from bringing out details and providing some shading, it would also help "grunge up" the figure as it is currently too "clean" for a Skaven!

Oddly, I didn't incorporate any green into the figure.  Given that it's the "go to" color for warpstone, I'm guessing that either 1) I wasn't aware of that at the time, or 2) I didn't have any green paint at the time.  I would definitely add some green, probably in place of the blues; I'd also reduce the amount of red on the figure, or at least shift it to more of a crimson hue.

I still have several of the old miniatures for Skaven named characters, so hopefully one day I'll have the opportunity to revisit them.  Perhaps I'll build a Skaven army for Kings of War (after my Abyssal Dwarves... and possibly Goblins...)!

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment