Sunday, August 9, 2015

Reaper Bones: Turanil, Male Elf Paladin

Another of the New 30 figures from Bones I has been completed:  77044 Turanil, Male Elf Paladin.






First Look:  This is another figure that I liked when I first got my Bones I shipment.  It's a solid sculpt for a High Elf, and the styling is similar to the iconic Citadel figures produced over the years for Warhammer Fantasy.  The only thing that kept me from approaching the figure earlier was a lack of color scheme; once I completed Arthrand Nightblade, I decided to use the same scheme on this figure.  The detail is quite good, though I didn't notice until I start painting that some of the very fine detail didn't quite make the transition to Bones.  For example, the central part of the sword scabbard has an ill-defined raised section, and the pattern in the platemail is hard to make out.  Those minor issues aside, it's still a good figure.

Painting:  As with Arthrand, I went with a blue/gray/silver scheme for the figure.  The cloak is a medium gray (VGC Cold Grey, Wolf Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink), as was the stone base.  The underlying scalemail armor, gauntlets, sabatons, and sword were all painted silver (VGC Chainmail, Silver, AP Dark Tone Ink).  The remaining platemail armor and sword crossguard was painted a medium-dark blue (VGC Imperial Blue, Magic Blue, Electric Blue, AP Blue Tone Ink).  The same colors were mixed with a light grey (VGC Wolf Grey) for the various blues used on the straps, pouches, and sash, as well.

The shield was painted a very light grey (VGC Wolf Grey), with a blue peacock (VGC Imperial Blue, Magic Blue, Electric Blue, AP Blue Tone Ink) and silver details (VGC Silver).  The gems on the armor and sword were painted with a similar combination of blue.  Finally, the skin and hair were painted a pale fleshtone (VGC Pale Flesh, AP Soft Tone Ink) and light gray (VGC Wolf Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink) respectively.

Conclusion:  I think the figure came out nicely, though the muddled detail was a little disappointing.  I got to the point where I was still working on the figure, but I couldn't tell that I was making any progress (generally, I find that's about when I've hit the limit of my skills and it's time to call it done).  I like the balance of blue and silver, and I think I added enough variety with the blues to keep it from being too monochromatic.  This figure would be an excellent elf hero, perhaps in a Kings of War army....

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment