Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Reaper Bones: Judas Bloodspire, Vampire

Another final figure from a Bones I set (Grave Danger, in this case) has been completed:  77160 Judas Bloodspire, Vampire.








First Look:  My first thought upon seeing this figure for the first time was "Spawn cape".  It did have some significant issues with leaning (such that it would not stand up correctly), but boiling and icing the figure fixed the posture and I haven't had any problems since.  The cape does make this figure much more challenging to paint that it otherwise would be, and I would recommend removing the cape and simply reattaching it once the figure has been painted.

Painting:  In keeping with the Spawn theme, I opted to paint the cape a solid red (VGC Gory Red, AP Red Tone Ink) and the armor black (VGC Coal Black, Cold Grey).  For the clothing, I opted for a dark gray (VGC Sombre Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink) rather than adding another color to the mix.  The metal details were painted silver (VGC Chainmail Silver, AP Dark Tone Ink).  The ruff was painted an off-white (MSP Linen White), to help brighten the figure.  The skin was painted a pale skintone (VGC Pale Flesh, AP Soft Tone Ink) with white-gray hair (VGC Wolf Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink).  The base was painted a medium gray (VGC Cold Grey, AP Dark Tone Ink).  Finally, the eyes were painted red as a change of pace from my usual method for eyes (using black).

Conclusion:  I'm pretty happy with how the figure turned out, particularly the face (I wasn't sure how the red eyes would work).  I haven't highlighted a solid black in a while, but I like the results.  Again, the cape made this figure much harder to work with, and in retrospect I would have preferred to remove it.  Also, the red ink wash on the cape wound up leaving it somewhat muddled looking; this is definitely an area for improvement, and something to watch for on large surfaces.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment