Monday, September 7, 2015

Reaper Bones: Hajad, Pirate

With the resounding success of my last pirate, I chose what I judged to be the easier of the two remaining figures in the Bones I Pirates set for my next one:  77134 Hajad, Pirate.





First Look:  Another strong model, though this one has slightly less character than Gruff Grimecleaver (though he is tough to beat!).  While this model could be used for a PC, I think it's better suited to a named NPC or secondary character.  Interestingly, the character is wielding a scimitar rather than a typical cutlass or saber, which gives him a bit more of an exotic look.

Painting:  I decided to go for a dark skintone (VGC Dark Fleshtone, AP Strong Tone Ink) on this character, just for variety (and to give some explanation for the scimitar).  Flush with the success of the dwarf pirate's striped shirt, I decided to give this character striped pants.  I didn't want to copy the blue and white scheme, so instead I opted for red and white pants (VGC Gory Red, MSP Linen White, AP Soft Tone Ink).  For contrast, I went with blue for the vest (VGC Imperial Blue, Magic Blue, AP Strong Tone Ink) and an orange sash (VGC Scrofulous Brown, AP Soft Tone Ink).  The leather cuffs and belt were painted a light-medium brown (VGC Oiled Leather, AP Strong Tone Ink), and the chest's wood was painted a light brown (MSP HD Woodland Brown, AP Strong Tone Ink).  The sword, dagger, and chest's metal parts were painted gold and silver (VGC Glorious Gold with AP Soft Tone Ink; VGC Chainmail with AP Dark Tone Ink).  The base was painted a sandy color to match the the dwarf pirate's base (MSP Ginger Cookie, AP Soft Tone Ink).

Conclusion:  Again, I was surprised at how well I did with the striping.  I did have to clean up a few spots, but thankfully the off-white color has pretty good coverage.  I like the way the tones worked out, and I feel this model has a solid character without demanding "center stage", as it were.

- M:M

No comments:

Post a Comment