As a change of pace from the recent sprint through the Salvage Crew figures and my Slave Orc Gore Riders, I decided to dig out one of my metal Reaper miniatures: 50247 Zonkers, Killer Klown.
First Look: Yep, it's a creepy-ass clown. The figure comes with a couple of different heads, and the option between a bomb and a mallet for the left hand. I have no idea what you would use this figure for, but that's part of the joy of Reaper's Chronoscope line: it's literally a "catch all" group of miniatures with concepts that range all over the place. The figure has some excellent detail, as almost all of Reaper's metal miniatures do. This is one of a lot of metal Reaper figures that I got from eBay a few years ago; I cleaned and primed several of them, but since then they've been waiting for a turn under the brush.
Painting: I knew that I would want to stick with primary colors for the majority of the costume, as those seem to be common for clowns. I also knew that I wanted the mask to be white with a red "smile" (VGC Wolf Grey, MSP Linen White, AP Soft Tone Ink and VGC Gory Red). Starting with the shoes and collar, I opted for red (VGC Gory Red, AP Red Tone Ink, MSP Clear Red) to really draw attention to them. Working from there, I chose blue for the shirt (VGC Imperial Blue, Magic Blue, AP Blue Tone Ink). That left yellow for the pants (VGC Plague Brown, Gold Yellow, Sun Yellow, AP Soft Tone Ink). The gloves, buttons, and handkerchief were painted white (VGC Wolf Grey) for contrast. The suspenders were painted purple (VGC Hexed Lichen, AP Blue Tone Ink), and the shirt ruffles red (VGC Gory Red, AP Red Tone Ink). The figure's skin (in the mask's eye-hole) was painted a dark tan (MSP HD Suntan Flesh, AP Soft Tone Ink) to contrast with the mask, while he was given red hair (VGC Gory Red, Bloody Red, AP Soft Tone Ink) (at least, I assume that's a tuft of hair sticking out of the mask; it may be part of the mask itself).
For the accessories, the bomb was painted black with a red-to-yellow fuse (VGC Coal Black, Wolf Grey, Gory Red, Bloody Red, Hot Orange, Gold Yellow, Sun Yellow). For the seltzer bottle, I decided I wanted to make it look like it was filled with acid, so I opted for a bright green color (VGC Wolf Grey, Magic Blue, Sick Green, Escorpena Green, Dead White, Silver, AP Dark Tone Ink). I followed this guide to painting fluid-filled vials, though I opted for a blueish "background" color rather than black (I think black would have looked odd on such an otherwise-colorful figure).
Conclusion: I'm very happy with how the figure turned out! I spent a lot more time (and a lot wider range of colors) than I have on most figures lately, and I think the results show it. I really like the way the seltzer bottle turned out, and I'm proud of being able to paint the smiley button on the suspenders (that was unbelievably tiny). The Clear Red did an excellent job of making the shoes and collar stand out significantly more than they otherwise were. I do think the yellows on the pants could have used a slightly smoother transition, though I'm still learning to work with yellow (which is a notoriously difficult color). All in all I think this is an excellent example (to myself, at least) of how far my painting skills have come in just the last couple of years.